The Baahubali franchise is set to go into the portals of history for not just its great story, cinematography, brilliant acting or profits but for the towering benchmark it has created in the digital world. Aside from garnering accolades for a host of things, today no one can beat the fact that intelligent and creative use of the social media and technical expertise have made it an amazing creation of human talent.
Baahubali is a bilingual epic in Telugu and Tamil which uses historical to carry the story forward. Directed by S.S. Rajamouli in the two cinematic parts (first release in 2015 as Baahubali: The Beginning and second release as Baahubali: The Conclusion in April 2017) the film earned a unprecedented Rs 1,000 crores at the box office. Be it the franchise’s visual tapestry or mind-blowing imagery which has been created using digital cameras have all the makings of great use of technology.
The most expensive movie till now, media reports ascribe Baahubali’s stupendous success to several reasons. To begin with, Baahubali has 35.42 lakh likes on the Facebook page, 1.48 lakh followers on Twitter, 1.38 lakh subscribers on Youtube and still increasing day by day.
Social visual channels Instagram and Youtube have been smartly deployed to create hype and generate a higher fan base. The creators of the film have constantly updated ‘behind-the-scenes’ information to give a human connect to the fans and audience of the grand film. Besides these, the filmmakers also created a website named ‘.com’ which displays pictures, blogs, articles, picture galleries, videos and other action packed information. Also, according to popular media reports, “Videos posted on social media as a “Casting call for Baahubali with SS Rajamouli and Prabhas” on Jan 16th, 2013 to select the interested and eligible individuals to perform in a war sequence of the film and same campaign followed for second part too.
Given its outreach and almost insane hype, the creative and market team have decided to make the business boom by doling out exclusive Baahubali merchandise. These include t-shirts, caps, posters, pictures among a host of other goodies. Of course, they have also declared their charitable intentions on the web by announcing a significant contribution to social causes.
Facebook, twitter, Tumblr and other forms of social media have literally exploded with little nuggets of information that have attracted major attention from fans. For instance, these digital social channels have been giving information about the birthdays of the lead actors of the film and have released teasers of the film on these special dates.
Undoubtedly, Baahubali has shown India and the world the magic that can be weaved with a strategic collaboration of intelligence, talent and technology. Let us examine the important aspects that we can pick up from this case.
LESSONS FROM THIS CASE STUDY
- If you are authentic and genuine, then demographics don’t matter as social media unites everyone. Ideally a south Indian film, Baahubali smashed all records in North India and worldwide.
- Positive publicity was created by using hashtags and catchy lines.
- Online tie-ups, contests and promotion fuelled the curiosity and publicity for Baahubali.
- Media has reported that Baahubali: The Beginning” has landed in the second place in Google(India) in the list of the trending searches of 2015 & First place in Google (India) in the list of trending movies of the year 2015. The filmmakers also created history by making it available on Youtube in 4k resolution, making it the first Indian film in Youtube with 4k resolution.
- Media experts point out that The filmmakers also created history by making it available on Youtube in 4k resolution, making it the first Indian film in Youtube with 4k resolution.